Monday, February 16, 2009

Holiday Blues and Seeing Red

Not everyone is "into" Valentine's Day. Or Presidents Day.

Take, for example, a select few people who unleashed a wrath of fury on me this past weekend. Remember that retail job I took on for some extra cash through the holidays? The Christmas season had NOTHING on the joy displayed by these folks this past weekend! Whew!

First there was the lady who screamed at me and accused me of participating in false advertising. Next, there was the grandfatherly gentleman who yelled at me when I asked to see the signature on the back of his credit card. Ironically, when he did finally give in and allow me to verify his signature, the area on the back of the card clearly said "Show ID" which prompted yet another request for his driver's license. And finally there was the woman who started shrieking at me when I began to take her items and scan them at the beginning of her transaction. Evidently she wanted to go s-l-o-w-l-y (never mind the 15 people in line behind her) and that we were going to do things her way. If I recall correctly, her words went something like this: "we are going to do things MY way and not YOUR way and I want to do this SLOWLY and you can just chill and let me take my own sweet time. Got it?"

Oh yeah, I got it. So did all of the people in line behind her.

I often wonder what prompts the rudeness. Did they wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Just get into a fight with their spouse? A child? A significant other? Did they just get bad news? Maybe they attempted to fill their car with gas for under $50 and failed miserably. Or maybe they hate the idea of the ecomomic stimulus package. Honestly, there are times that I just wish people would approach me and say "I'm having the worst day ever. I'm still bummed out about the election, my tax refund isn't going to be what I'd hoped for, I have a sore throat and all the good Valentine candy at Target has been picked over. Let me buy this stuff and get outta here, ok?"

I'd be fine with that. Really. Because it would be honest. And we can relate, right? It's not all roses. We all have bad days now and again.

So, from me to all of you customers that took an instant dislike to me over the past few days, I wish you peace. And good health. And I'm glad that you had some extra money available to splurge on those little luxury items this past weekend 'cause I'm guessing that meant that you are employed right now. Not everyone is as fortunate.

And last, but not least, I wish you better choices in Valentine candy. And hey, it's all on clearance now, right?

After all, that is something to smile about!

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! I always complain about the grumpy checkout person that should not be working with people but maybe they had one of "your" people right before me.

    ReplyDelete