Saturday, February 7, 2009

Chocolate Pudding Meets Horseradish

I'm happy to say that we have dug out of the snow, are experiencing balmy-like temperatures right now and are experiencing the great Thaw '09. Providing that the big chunks of ice that gave birth to huge dagger-like icicles over these past few weeks don't come crashing down on my head and knock me unconscious, life is good. To make matters even better, Gregg's office didn't go up in flames yesterday (did I mention that 14 fire departments responded to a fire there yesterday afternoon?) and to complete the blessings of our weekend so far, I have survived Cassidy's first ever slumber party. Never mind that we only had two girls over . . . let's keep in mind that I had to also sit through "Mall Cop" (don't waste your money) and dinner out with three pre-teens without another adult in tow. Whew.

So, we've closed the chapter on Cassidy's birthday. As I reported last year, Mackenzie had thanked Jesus in her bedtime prayers that Cassidy's birthday was FINALLY over (she'd had three different birthday celebrations when it was all said and done) and her thankfulness was just as evident this year with the "plethora" of birthday fun showered on her sister again. I knew we were in trouble when Mackenzie said to me early this week, "we're doing sissy's birthday AGAIN?" Thankfully my parents came to rescue and took Thing 2 out of the mix for the past 24 hours. When my mom invited my youngest offspring for a sleepover and made the promise of chocolate pudding for breakfast, I excitedly announced I'd be joining Mackenzie.

That was met with a resounding no. From both Thing 2 AND my mom. (Let's keep in mind that this is the same woman who gave birth to me.) I was told in no uncertain terms that I was not invited. Fine. I was going to see "Mall Cop." Take that, Nanna!

Mackenzie did however, tell Gregg that HE could come to Nanna's house for chocolate pudding. I put on my best sad face and told her how hurt my feelings were-that daddy was invited, but not me. In true Mackenzie fashion, she shrugged and said "Well Mommy, Nanna broke your feelings, too!" She then turned her back on me and asked Gregg for help with blowing her nose-that she was having "issues."

My grandfather often used the expression "strong as horseradish" to describe individuals with strong personalities. Not to my surprise, my mom uses the expression herself from time to time and more than once she has used it when describing Mackenzie. Half the time I don't know whether to stare at my youngest daughter in amazement or crack up. I do know one thing. I need to spend more time in prayer for her future husband out there . . . whomever and wherever he might be . . . I hope he grows up to be a strong individual. Strong like horseradish. God bless him!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like those three girls had fun. Makes me a bit "homesick."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Mackenzie makes me laugh! And I love the 'strong as horseradish' analogy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am attepting a slumber party for Asley's birthday, next month. Chad said he would go ahead and book a hotel room. I tought, oh how nice, the girls would love that. Nope! It's for him. Can't say that I blame him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is funny. I have a couple strong personalities in this house too. Glad the party went good. And I tagged you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete