Saturday, April 25, 2009

Welcome Spring! (I think)

When you live in the area that we do, you hold your breath in between seasons. You see, you could be having a lovely time at the park with your kids one moment, then rush home to get out your snow shovel. There's no way of predicting things.

But, I think spring is making a comeback. (Understand I am holding my breath as I type this.)

What a winter it's been. Goodbye and good riddance. I loved the new addition of the woodburing stove in our house these past several months, but I'm over it. Bring on warm weather!

This is one of my favorite parts of spring . . . the signs of new growth on my rosebushes-especially on the rose bushes from my grandfather's yard.



Mackenzie's preschool had a field trip to a nursery this past week. Each child got a chance to "plant" their own geranium in a pot. Mackenzie chose a pink geranium. Surprising, I know.



Here she checks out the small buds on her plant. It won't be long!



As we walked through the nursery, I started to mentally plan my garden. Celery was a big hit in our house last year. We'll definitely do a repeat along with the usual fare . . . tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers . . .

And did I mention that we added asparagus to the garden last year?




Yesterday, I cheated and picked 6 stalks. Technically we're not supposed to harvest any this year, but I couldn't help myself. I mean, it is important to make sure we chose well last spring. Right???

For the record, we chose really well. It was DELICIOUS!!!!

Of course, spring also brings new dilemmas . . . more time to carve out of the day for maintaining the yard, mowing, watering and so on. The other dilemmas would be dealing with Thing 1 and Thing 2 when it comes to selecting the wardrobe ensemble for the day. Here is an example of the fun in our house yesterday morning:

Me: "Alright, let's get your outfit out for school today."

Thing 2: "Wait!" (pushing arm out in my direction-sort of like a "Stop in the Name of Love" kind of way) "I think it's nice out today. Can I wear a skirt?"

Me: "Well, it's . . . "

Thing 2: (Interrupting) "No! Wait! I think I want to wear capri's."

Me: "Ok, I think . . . "

Thing 2: "No! Wait! I think I want to wear a dress!"

Me: "But, you're going . . . "

Thing 2: "No! Wait! I want to find a cute t-shirt!"

Me: "That's a much better . . . "

Thing 2: "No! Wait! I think I want the skirt!" (rummaging through wardrobe again) "Oh mommy!!!! I want to wear my new sandals! No! Wait! Maybe my crocs. No! Wait! How 'bout these pretty white shoes? Those would be good!"

Finally I gave up, left her room and let her agonize over the decision for awhile. I had other things to do.

Like find the snow shovel again because around here, you just never know.

1 comment:

  1. Boys are so easy: T-shirt or jean shorts? Jean shorts or t-shirt? : )
    Your rose looks great. Mine looks a little sad. I think it needs some Miracle-Gro this year. I'm sure your yard will be beautiful. It always is.

    Hug the girls for me and tell Mack to wear something cute and pink for Auntie Happi today!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete