Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I miss blogging.

I find myself sitting at the computer thinking that I need to update. Then I get stuck. What to write about? Ho hum. Boring. Then I remember that to-do list sitting in my planner and feel guilty. To get the paperwork off to our accountant before April 15th or to update the blog . . . hmmmm . . .

Then again, the main reason that I started this blog was to simply write. If it all doesn't fit or seem amusing or interesting, life goes on. Right?

So, without further ado . . . I give you my past week-in review. It's random, amusing to some, completely boring to others, but it's mine. Here goes:

Our children's department at church ushered in the start of Holy Week by waving their "palms" this last Sunday as they paraded through the sanctuary. This was the first year that we didn't see both of our girls waving branches, as Cassidy's age group didn't take part. They only had the "young" children participate. I'll readily admit to being a little misty-eyed that she's considered to be "too old" to take part.


While we're on the topic of tears, Cassidy headed to camp on Monday with her class. No, Cassidy did not cry. I didn't cry, either. Mackenzie, on the other hand, had the motherload of all meltdowns. Oh my word! It was horrible, but it was a great teaching opportunity to remind Cassidy that when she thinks her little sister is driving her beserk, Thing 2 loves her like crazy. (Never mind the drama and hormones that exist within this house-I'm sure it was all pure love. Ha!) I too, will use the memory to remind myself of their sisterly love when they're driving me CRAZY!!!!! (As a side note, the camper had a great time-even with the snow on the ground on the morning of her departure.)

Oh yes, and I did mention the word hormones in that last paragraph, right? I can't believe that I'm going to go public here, but here goes nothing . . .

I experienced my first real-honest-to-goodness HOT flash a few nights ago. Hand. Over. The. Ice. Packs. I found out that it's a little like childbirth. No amount of "been there, done that" stories from well-meaning women can accurately prepare you for this experience. If any of you have ever heard the comedic description of childbirth as being similar to that of pulling your bottom lip up and over your forehead, then allow me to try and match the hot flash experience with one of my own.

Have you ever tried to start a fire? (I'm talking on purpose here-not like when you start to cook rice and forget about it and cause smoke damage to a home.) It's a little like that moment when the fire gets that sudden burst of flame and is roaring along very nicely! Now . . . picture wrapping that fire in a few layers of something that will trap the heat, causing you to think that the outer layer is so hot that it just might peel off and melt. But, to make it more interesting, add an element of frustration to the mix . . . like the feeling of trying to find the end on a roll of packing tape or trying to untie a knot in a shoelace in less than 10 seconds. When you add it all up, this should accurately help describe the sensation . . . sudden fire-comes to life inside my core. But, because I have enjoyed being warm at night, I have these wonderfully suffocating flannel sheets on our bed. Add to that my flannel pj's and you have the perfect recipe for a combustible that only a trained firefighter would dare challenge with a lit match. In fact, as I write this, Gregg is informing me that each time I move at night, I already cause sparks to appear under the covers due to static electricity. Add the element of surprise (middle of the night) and confusion (remember . . . I was in a dead sleep . . . no coffee in sight) and you have the makings of an experience that has been like no other I've met in my life. Until now.

My first reaction was to rid myself of all bedding. I'll spare you the details of what happened next, but I will say that it's not what I WANTED to do. Had I allowed myself to really experience instant comfort (and remember that I DID NOT do this), I would have ripped off every stitch of clothing and run outside in the snow (and as luck would have it, it was doing that very thing that night) and pressed my body against the glass storm door on the front of the house. Now THAT would have been heaven. Unfortunately, it might have landed me in jail for indecent exposure. I pictured my family. We'd have to move out of state as a result of my menopause because people would look at them with pity every time the subject of my incarceration, the fire department, and bail money would come up. I couldn't do that to them. Suffer I must. And I did. And thankfully it passed. And hopefully it won't ever happen again. And yes, I can hear my mom laughing even before she reads this because I know it's only just begun. Yay 40. Welcome to my world.

Now . . . where was I? Oh yes . . . the planner sitting on my kitchen table right now. . . to blog or work on my to-do list. That reminds me that I need to make a new entry on that list and add "buy a fan" ASAP.

4 comments:

  1. Ugh, hot flashes? You JUST turned 40! I'm not looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lord, have mercy. I do NOT want to go through this. It is so hard being a woman. Hang in there, girlfriend. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I'm so not looking forward to hot flashes. I am sitting in Chick-Fil-A right now while the kids play and I am sure the people around me think I am crazy for laughing out loud when I read the part about you wanting to press yourself up against the glass door. Ha, ha, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kari you are such a wonderful writer. Just a funny as when you told us.

    ReplyDelete