Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Wacky World of Retail

Ah Sunday . . . a day of rest, although if there's a four year-old around . . . well, not so much.

After Gregg departed for the great outdoors in search of more firewood, I decided to venture out with the Things. With the impending craziness of weekend schedules coming up, I decided to try and get some stuff checked off of my to-do list now, rather than later. First stop? Target. We went off in search of Valentines because you moms KNOW that making this purchase without your children along will result in purchasing the "wrong" ones.

After picking up other items I needed, we ventured to the Valentine aisle.

No luck. In place of all things bearing hearts, various shades of pink and Cupids were items for the outdoor deck and patio. Not a box of tear-apart cards or conversation hearts were in sight.

Thing 2 piped up, "Mommy, why don't you just ask someone???"

Great idea. She's going to make her future husband a very happy man some day-imparting this great advice. Ask someone. Why didn't I think of that?

I found a friendly woman sporting a name tag on her red shirt.

"Uhm, we can't seem to find the Valentine section. Can you tell me where it is?"

She looked at me like I'd just asked her for her social security number, PIN number and password to access her Facebook account. I backed away.

"We don't HAVE a Valentine section . . . it's WAY too early for that." With that, she turned and continued hanging up swimsuits.

Hmmm . . .

Is it just me or did anyone else notice CHRISTMAS trees on sale in SEPTEMBER just a few months ago???????

Onward and upward. Incidentally, there's some nice patio furniture out there to purchase . . . if it's not too early, of course, to be buying that kind of stuff.

In the meantime, if any of you find some nice Hello Kitty or Jonas Brothers Valentine cards in a box, do let me know. And if you happen to be a lucky person who actually needs some new patio furniture at this moment, I'd rather not know. Some things are just better left alone.

3 comments:

  1. I got my valentines cards at Walmart...they already have them out but not swimsuits! And GG's real birthday was the 17th so she really is 8 now...sniff sniff. I don't even want to know what I'm going to be like when she turns 10! Heaven help my poor husband ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Target and Walmart here were setting up there Valentine's stuff two days after Christmas. I thought retailers were all of the "it is never too early" mentality these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, first of all, lady with the name tag, RUDE. Alright, I feel better.

    Secondly, I have seen Valentines all over the place, including Hobby Lobby, Walmart, and the Dollar Store. Just sayin'....

    And yes, My WORD the swimsuits all over Target. I walked in the other day and was astounded at all the stringy, barely-enough-fabric-to-cover-one's-bellybutton suits. (Was that my outside voice???) And that was one of the coldest, sub-zero temp days we've had yet. I can't even find a warm hoodie to wear in their clothing department, for heaven's sake. Sick, I tell you. Sick.

    But back to the Valentines. Good luck with the search, sister.

    Love you!
    Hap

    ReplyDelete