Friday, May 8, 2009

In Appreciation . . .

This week marks "staff appreciation week" at Cassidy's school.

I'm not sure if there's one universal "teacher appreciation" day or "staff appreciation" day, but I do know that it's happening in our little corner of the world this week.

Because I have a huge appreciation for what our elementary school staff does and because I'm blessed to have an opportunity to write for anyone who is somewhat interested in coming here to check out the blog from time to time, I'm devoting this post to school teachers and staff . . . present AND past. Just as Cassidy has been blessed to have some incredible people in her life through school, so have I!!!!

Last week, as I mentioned in the previous post, I had the chance to help out with "Friday Night Live" at Cassidy's school. For as many times as I was thanked for helping out, I'd have to honestly throw a thanks right back in the direction from where the gratitude came because I learned A LOT through the experience.

For example, ever since Cassidy ventured to first grade, I've eaten more than one school lunch with her and willingly paid the nice cashier for my lunch. I've seen other women scurry around and refill the food in the buffet line. I've watched the custodian jump to clean up spills and messes. I never knew their names, but I knew they certainly did their part in making the school a better place. Last week, however, these great people came to my rescue and suddenly we bonded. Upon seeing me struggle with my attempts to put up a tent outside the school for FNL decoration, they jumped in to help. I never had to ask. They were great and we had a lot of laughs. When it was all said and done, we agreed that installing tents (or canopies) should be a summer Olympic sport. We are competing on the first US team ever if this new event takes hold. Seriously. They also were kind enough to not bat an eye when I realized Thing 2 had to eat lunch and "do you mind if I put in an order for another lunch?" so my 4 year-old can eat in the midst of the chaos. They were happy to help and made my life so much easier.

To the school nurse, Mrs. S, I express my heartfelt thanks for every bandaid you've given Thing 1 for everything down to the smallest of hangnails. I'm sure you have been an attentive audience to more than one dramatic display from my firstborn. To the school secretary Mrs. C, thanks especially for going the extra mile for me this year and helping out with some of that FNL preparation. I remember one particular day when you didn't get a lunch break, were swamped with phone calls and people popping in the office for various things, yet you helped me out willingly and cheerfully. Thank you! And to the principal, Mrs. S, you will be missed as you go on to your next venture. We parents have appreciated having you at the helm and on a more personal note, thank you for supporting "See You at the Pole" for the past few years. I pray that the next one to sit in your office will have a heart for the Lord as you do. Thank you!

To do justice in expressing my thanks to her teachers (past and present) would be downright impossible. While each has lent a different teaching and education style to her, she has benefitted from each experience and come away learning much more than just the curriculum outlined for the year. Each of these teachers has helped to shape and mold her. Yes, there are some standouts and I am so thankful for them. Her current teacher, Mr. K, is no exception to this and there's no way to adequately express our appreciation.

Suffice to say, the one thing that makes Mr. K a standout, would be his desire to encourage his students to "go beyond themselves." It's because Mr. K does this himself that he can demand it of his students. I've been privvy to a few of the things that this man does in our community, let alone the school itself. Sadly, I've been sworn to secrecy, but rest assured that the things that he does are not about him but rather the Lord. Yes, he teaches the "three R's" in his classroom but the lessons go beyond the basics and get down to the literal heart of the matter. Gone is the writing assignment to describe a summer vacation, but rather to consider a problem or worthy cause that his students could help with . . . to explain why the issue is worth their attention and then a plan of action resulting in improvement. He plays music for the class and discusses the inspiration behind the song and he has been the model for encouraging a positive atitude in the classroom. Just recently, as the 4th grade classes departed for a 24 hour pioneer camping experience that was destined by weather forecasters to be a chilly time, he had the group convinced that "the colder the better!" Cassidy prayed for cold weather because "Mr. K says we'll have so many more opportunities if it's not warm." Several of us parents giggled with our hands over our mouths. One 4th grade dad joked that "if it comes from Mr. K, then it must be sacred."

Once upon a time, I had my own "Mr. K" for a teacher-only it was a petite young woman named Mrs. Coe. She was the one who helped me discover a passion for writing. She was energetic, bright, fun to have in the front of the classroom and made. us. think. Reading assignments always were followed by discussion, and not limited to a few questions at the end of the piece but inspired by Mrs. Coe's own thoughts and if memory serves correctly, rarely was there a wrong answer. It was always about our opinions but that in order to express them, we'd better be able to back it up with the "why" behind our thoughts. (Did I mention that she made us think and use our brains??) I adored Mrs. Coe and was so sorry to see my year end with her. As Cassidy laments the end of her year with Mr. K drawing to a close, I can appreciate it. I felt the same way about my time with Mrs. Coe.

So, in the spirit of teachers who demand one's personal best, can I ask all of you who are reading this to do me a favor? Leave me a comment and tell me about a teacher who impacted you in a great way. Better yet, find that teacher and tell them thanks. Or let someone at your own child's school how much you appreciate them! They deserve to know!

1 comment:

  1. Mrs. Coe...absolutely my favorite teacher. She was so supportive of my performing ventures and was willing to by-pass unnecessary busy work. I missed many days of school and will never forget her willingness to help me and go the extra mile while I did "Annie." Not only that, of course, she was a teacher who truly cared and poured herself into her students. I'm glad we both got to have her as a teacher!

    ReplyDelete