Monday, March 23, 2009

Happy Birthday-Part II

Several weeks ago-probably well over a month ago, my mom invited us to dinner to celebrate my birthday on the Saturday following my birthday. She also informed me that my dad wanted to take me to lunch that day. Fast forward to this past Wednesday-it was a great day and ended with birthday cards to open from Gregg and the girls. After opening the last card, I was informed by my sweet hubby that the two of us would be going to get my gift on Friday . . . WITHOUT the children. I was told that his mom would be arriving to pick up the grandchildren at 4 pm and that I was to be ready to leave.

Over the next 48 hours from receiving that information, I was given clues but didn't know our destination until just before walking out the door. As it turns out, my gift was located in Chicago and off we went.

Upon arriving downtown, we circled the block to find a parking garage and when Gregg pointed out the hotel, I saw that just next door was a theatre displaying "Jersey Boys" on the marquis. It wasn't until we were out of the car and approaching the hotel entrance that Gregg told me that we were indeed seeing the show that evening!!!

After checking in, we wandered down the street to do dinner before the show. It was at this restaurant that Gregg and I experienced the ultimate fish story. We have laughed about this more times than we can count at this point. We are certain that in our old age, when our girls draw straws as to who's turn it is to go in and take care of mom and dad, they will commiserate about having to endure the fish story AGAIN-as we're sure it will become legendary. Allow me to share:

Have you ever seen that commercial (I think it was for Visa/Mastercard or American Express) where the couple dines at a very fancy restaurant and when their food arrives, it's nearly miniature in size? The next scene shows them at a convenience store buying junk food since dinner didn't do the job of filling them up.

Having said that, Gregg ordered fish. Pacific Sea Bass to be exact. The restaurant is so nice that it's one of those places where everything is a la carte. Want a salad? You'll need to order it separately. Right after you take out a second mortgage on the house. Suffice to say, we didn't order salads. Surely our main entree would satisfy.

After much anticipation, our food arrives and it takes nearly everything to stifle the giggles. Gregg's fish is literally about 1" x 3" in size, beautifully displayed on a plate nearly 14" in diameter. A can of tuna would probably have been more filling. Don't believe me? See for yourself. And note the point of reference in placing Gregg's fork in the photo. That will help you understand.

We went ahead and splurged on dessert-partly to stave off hunger midway into the show, as I shared my ravioli (about 8 to be exact) with Gregg once he'd finished his fish. Dessert arrives. Cookies. All three of them were the size of a quarter. Nuff said. Moving on.

As we nearly collapsed in laughter AFTER we left the restaurant (we tried desperately to act cool and everything-pretending like we knew all along that our dinners would be miniature sized), we headed to the theatre and thoroughly enjoyed the first act of the show. During intermission, Gregg got a phone call. Somehow, via my mom to my brother-in-law through a co-worker to her boyfriend in the show, we were going backstage for a tour afterwards. I'm sure that a tie in with Kevin Bacon fits into this somehow, but I'm not quite certain of the connection yet.

The tour was interesting and I desperately wished for my mom. Once upon a time, she did a 6 month run of "Hello Dolly" with Carol Channing at this very same theatre and as we wound our way through the maze backstage and down in the basement, I had to wonder where my mom had applied her makeup and warmed up before the start of a show once upon a time. It was an experience I won't ever forget.

Fast forward to nearly 12 hours later. Gregg and I were heading home again and I commented at how much I wished we had more time to enjoy the city. Gregg said very little, other than needing to get me back in time to meet my lunch date.

Right on schedule, my next date arrived and off we went to eat. As I looked over the menu, I shared our fish story with Papa Dean and he had a good laugh as well. At the end of our meal, his cell phone rang and I heard his end of the conversation with my mom. Apparently our next stop would be at the studio-some customers had arrived and could we come on over so that I could help them out with some ballroom shoes? Off we went.

To try and explain what happened next is still surreal in memory. A gentleman as always, my dad had opened the door of the studio and ushered me in first and when I opened the next door, the sight of a crowd of people in semi-darkness greeted me. Then, the singing began-specifically "Happy Birthday" and as I focused more on the faces in the crowd, it dawned on me. This was a party for me. I was the guest of honor!

I found myself starting with the people nearest me-hugging the necks of people from church, my baby sister Darci and her family from 5 hours away, the girls from my Bible Study, and on and on. Students of mine were in attendance, my other sister Happi and her family and my preschool teacher! I continued to wander through the tables and as I was hugging that first teacher of mine, I nearly fell over. My best friend from high school stood behind her and as I left Mrs. Swann's arms for Cindy's arms, I burst into tears. My BFF had traveled over 400 miles to celebrate with me.


The party rocked. My parents and sisters had worked tirelessly, though they never said so. I just know so. Every detail was planned out perfectly. It was obvious that more planning, thought and love went into this occasion than I will ever be able to fathom. To top it off, Happi presented me with an amazing gift . . . a scrapbook of photos, letters, and memories of my life from birth through the present. I had notes from people who held me as a newborn to friends who have become a part of my life just in the past year. I had letters from family-sentimental notes and ones that made me laugh. It was a lot of work to put together-I know. I also knew that it was a labor of love. To say that I was awe-struck wouldn't even suffice. I will treasure this book forever.

As Gregg and I laid in bed later than night and replayed the evening back, he half jokingly commented that the afternoon had been like getting to experience your funeral before dying . . . being honored and loved on by family and friends and being ALIVE to experience it. Odd as it may sound, it was true. I'd never experienced anything quite like it. Now that I have, I hope everyone gets an opportunity to do so in their life at some point. It was amazing!

So again, I say thank you to everyone who had a hand in making the weekend happen. I know that my family busted themselves to show me an incredible experience and I don't know that it would be possible to ever convey my extreme gratitude to each of you. I won't ever forget it. I had the time of my life! I love you all!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I am such a softie. I teared up reading your post. That was a true outpouring of love and appreciation. It is a true sign of a good life when you have a room full of people showering you with love and many more people that couldn't make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful birthday gift. Thanks for sharing. We have company right now, but we will have to talk toward the end of the week. I can't wait to hear you tell me all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this was such a fun post! How exciting for you!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you, Kari. : ) You're welcome. We LOVED planning it and seeing your smiling face.

    ReplyDelete