Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Another First . . . Come and Gone

It happened.

Another milestone.

Have I mentioned how much I have a love/hate relationship with these moments in the lives of Thing 1 and Thing 2? I love 'em because these monumental events keep life exciting, new and usually bring about big smiles from the girls. I hate 'em because they serve to remind me that yet another "first" has come and gone.

And although I knew this moment was just around the corner, it still took me by surprise.

Mackenzie was beyond excited. It was a big day for my "baby."

Welcome to our home, tooth fairy. We've been waiting for you!



P.S. At 6:15 this morning, I bumped into a very sleepy Mackenzie wandering out of her bedroom. She was holding her tooth fairy pillow, but looking quite glum. Here is how our conversation went:

Me: (Excitedly) Hi sweetie!!! Did the tooth fairy come????
Mackenzie: (Very subdued) Yeah.
Me: What did she bring you?
Mackenzie: A dollar (No enthusiasm in her voice whatsoever. I'm wondering which of her little friends may have told her that the tooth fairy brought them heaps of cash, candy, their own water park or a trip to Disney World for losing their first tooth.)
Me: What's wrong? You seem sad.
Mackenzie: (silence)
Me: (Getting down to look her in the eye) What's wrong?
Mackenzie: The tooth fairy forgot to bring my new tooth for me and now I don't have any tooth for that spot anymore.

3 comments:

  1. I hope the tooth fairy was generous!!! ; )
    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. found you from blogher. love your blog. oh the innocence of children, so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that is so cute. I have only had one child lose a tooth so far. My almost 7 year old shows no sign of having even a loose one. OY. I know what you mean about happy and sad at the same time.

    ReplyDelete