Saturday, July 24, 2010

Summer Rewind

7 weeks ago, I was patting myself on the back . . . congratulating myself on planning a very laid-back summer. Or perhaps, that should read "failing to plan" a very full summer. I don't know. Take your pick.

At any rate, it doesn't much matter. What started out as a very lazy-sleep-in-and-we-don't-have-to-be-anywhere-anytime-soon kind of existence fast forwarded into a busy few weeks here lately. Mackenzie was busy, for example, finding the perfect outfit on this particular day. ;-)


And then there was the busy day of hanging out with Aunt Sass and Cousin Katherine . . . Amish Country, baby! Don't forget to buy some homemade peanut butter while you're there!


Then it was a busy few fun-filled days vacationing in Omaha. I can't tell you how many people said to me, "Vacation? In Omaha? Really?"

Yes. Really. It's a beautiful city . . .


. . . rich in history and amazing landmarks, as shown here at General Crook's house.



We also visited the Durham Museum. Below is a giant floor map of Omaha. Even though it's difficult to see, I'm pointing to Paddock Road . . . the road where my grandparents, Nanny and Poppop, built their home, raised my mom and her sister and opened it to all of us grandchildren time and time again. Poppop was the one responsible for naming their road. I love that I can tell my own girls about this little piece of history, and perhaps someday they will tell children of their own.


We were also busy at the zoo. Bless Gregg's heart. I think I can say with utmost confidence that the zoo was a big part of the reason for vacationing in Omaha. For at least 10 years (since the last time I visited Henry Doorly Zoo when Cassidy was a baby) I've wistfully said "gosh, I'd love to visit the zoo" every time we cross the Nebraska state line for the purpose of going to a football game. I think Gregg was tired of me saying it.

Below, a meerkat poses for a photo. I think he finally decided on his "best side" for the photo op. (Doesn't it look like he's wearing a headset? The girls thought it was hilarious!)



I love the next photo. It's a nest . . .



. . . well, actually a very BIG nest!


We've all seen elephants at zoos, but I had to include this one on the blog because it looks EXACTLY like the one that Gregg took. No lie! (Remember, my husband does this professionally.) I was busy doing the happy dance all day long when we compared photos. Duplicate photos, people!


The photo below is at a drive-thru safari park in Omaha. Yeeeeeeee-hawwwwwwwww!!


The animals throughout the park are THIS close. Our girls were enthralled.



I can safely say that I've never seen a buffalo scratch its nose with its hind foot. I think it's pretty safe to say that I probably won't ever see it again.


Before we left Omaha, we made a stop at the cemetery where my grandparents are buried. Some might frown at this one, but I thought it was appropriate . . . Mackenzie turning cartwheels next to their grave. I'd like to think that Nanny was watching and applauding while Poppop was simply smiling and shaking his head. Either way, it's a place where I'd rather remember them as full of life . . . just like Mackenzie is busy demonstrating.


And for a few days, I was busy re-painting Mackenzie's bedroom. She chose the colors and while I initially had some doubts, I absolutely love it now! Gregg painted clouds on the ceiling and it's a great room! Nanna also fell in love with the room and jokingly asked Mackenzie if she could move in with her. Later, in private, Mackenzie asked me if that would be ok to invite Nanna to live with us in her room. She stopped short of granting Nanna permission to sleep in her bed, though. She has decided that Nanna gets the beanbag chair instead. ;-)




I was also busy helping Cassidy find an outfit to wear to a 60's party. Thankfully, we'd just had a tye-dye party with a few friends, so the shirt came in handy. I even tye-dyed a shirt!
Add Image


We were also busy getting in the basement one evening . . . nasty storms ripped through our area and part of a tree in our yard ended up in our neighbor's yard. I had to take a photo of the cloud (below) 'cause there were just some really awesome formations. Later, the girls and I decided that the cloud resembled a dog wearing a scarf, sitting up and begging. :-)
Add Video


And on the topic of begging, Cassidy was busy begging me to "stop taking photos already" when she ventured out for a camping trip with her youth group at church. Nice look, don't you agree?
Remove Formatting from selection

I promise that as soon as I snapped the group photo below, I got busy and left the church, much to her relief!

Have I mentioned the word "busy" in this post yet? If not, let me say that it's been a nice relaxing summer. BUT . . . it's about to get busy. REALLY BUSY!


Welcome to the family, Bo! This will be the summer we remember anticipating opening our hearts and home to another furry family member!

Now . . . if you'll excuse me . . . I need to go get busy.
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment