Saturday, January 23, 2010

Someday, When I Grow Up . . .

Once upon a time, there was this park across the street from Nanny and Poppop's house and the main attraction was this:



If you look closely, this rocket has 3 floors . . . the top of which is known as "the cockpit."

Do rockets have cockpits? I'm not really sure, but it doesn't matter. It's what I called it as a kid, so we'll leave it at that.

Whenever all of us cousins were in Omaha together, there was a mad dash to reach the rocket first. Truth be told, the mad dash was usually between me and my older cousin, David. Sadly, he always outran me and reached the cockpit first. Therefore, being the "loser" in the race, I was banned from the top post in the rocket and relegated to the lower floors, serving as the cleaning woman.

Do rocket ships have cleaning women? I'm not really sure, but it doesn't matter. David made up the rules.

There were times that David wasn't in town to make that race to the rocket with me. Some days I'd race by myself and triumphantly reach the cockpit-only to feel a little empty. There was no glory since I hadn't really won any race to get there.

Later, as adults with our own kids along, we ventured over to the rocket. I'm sure you know what happened next.

Sadly, our kids couldn't have cared less about the rocket. I don't think our spouses really "got it" either. David and I were left to fight it out on our own.

Nearly 7 years ago, we arrived at Poppop's house for a reunion. He had big news for us.

The rocket was gone. Poof. Almost like it had lifted off.

The story was such big news, as no one ever saw the rocket leave the park or knew what happened to it. I immediately turned to David and accused him of stealing it. It would be just like him to take off with it in the middle of the night, never to allow me to come and clean it again. I could just picture him at the top in the cockpit every morning, sipping his coffee before starting his work day-laughing with glee and gloating. Lots and LOTS of gloating.

I'm still not entirely convinced he didn't take it. I haven't been to his house since he moved. He could have it sitting in his backyard for all I know-sitting in the cockpit day in and day out and STILL gloating. (I think I can hear him laughing as we speak!)

That's ok though. I am an adult. I have matured. A lot. (sniff)

Besides. When I get a little bit older and make a little more money, I'm going to have something even bigger and BETTER than he'll EVER have in his backyard . . .

Did you hear about what NASA is selling?


Oh yeah, baby. Want to come and play in MY backyard?

I wonder if David knows how to dust.




3 comments:

  1. Can join you, as long as I do not have to be the cleaning woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to come hang out even if you never get a new toy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember seeing a rocket like that when I was a kid of about 6- or 7-years-old and we were visiting a park on a road trip with our parents.

    The picture brings back great memories of playing as a kid. It's too bad there aren't any things like that now. The modern jungle gyms all seem to look like forts or sailing ships. We need more rockets and space ships in our parks!

    I wonder if someone will bring back a 2000s version of the rocket ship for the kids of today? Maybe rockets aren't as popular since we don't see them taking off as much as we did in the past.

    ReplyDelete