Thursday, July 2, 2009

Happy Birthday, Gregg!

Once upon a time, when I was dating a certain young man, I not only knew that he would make a great husband but that he would also be a terrific dad.

A few years later, I learned that my hunch was correct. Gregg turned out to be a great husband indeed and a terrific dad twice over.

I won't ever forget the day that our first daughter, Cassidy, was born. Once we had a few moments alone several hours after her birth, Gregg urged me to get some rest. I rolled over on my tummy (ah, heaven), closed my eyes and popped them open 30 seconds later to stare at the new small person laying in the bassinet next to my bed. Gregg's eyes met mine and he again, urged me to sleep.

Sleep never did come that afternoon. I tried, but I just couldn't take my eyes off the sight of that miracle laying beside me. The funny thing was, neither could Gregg and as I peeked at him several times while I was "sleeping," I fell in love with him all over again. He was completely smitten with that tiny baby who had just come into our world.

One more child and several years later, Gregg is still the dad that I anticipated he would turn out to be. He is a kid at heart himself, but brings a mix of that famous Bill Cosby line "I brought you into this world and I'll take you out" when necessary. He can name all the Disney princesses without hesitation and makes certain to note his appreciation of "twirly" dresses and accessories to match when the girls are all dressed up.

More recently, Gregg received some bonus points in the area of "cool dad." At an overnight reading event at Cassidy's school, staff and several parents portrayed famous characters from books. At the invitation of Cassidy's teacher, Gregg portrayed Harry Potter that evening.

It wasn't necessarily the fact that he was willing to act the part, but more that he literally went to new heights with his character . . .


and sailed into the festivities on a zip line that he and another father had rigged up in the gym.

Later that night, Cassidy said that it was "so cooooooool" and several of her friends agreed. In her school now, Gregg is known as Harry Potter.

I'm so glad I married this man. I couldn't ask for a better guy to share my life with and this journey called "parenthood."

So today, I'm wishing him the happiest birthday ever!

Happy Birthday, Gregg! You are the best and I love you dearly! Have a fantastic day!

2 comments:

  1. yup that makes him the coolest father ever known to man. I love that you captured him in that picture. Too cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is a gem, that Gregg. : ) I'm thankful he's my brother. Hug him for all of us!

    ReplyDelete